[opendtv] Re: News: DTV Boxes Could Cost $1 Billion

  • From: "Nick Kocsis" <kocsis_nick@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 19:29:20 -0400

You have brought up an interesting question as to how the consumer who has
already bought into the current 8VSB receiver technology,  whether
integrated into the TV itself or a set top box, would have a claim against
the FCC for having adopted a standard for DTV that has been proven to be
substandard (i.e. not equal in performance to NTSC).    The five years that
it has taken to design and develop a working (i.e. equal or better than
NTSC) receiver that is now acknowledged by all may get the notice of
Consumer's Union and Ralph Nader who will in all likelihood put the case
before the public for compensation to early adopters.

The FCC will claim that the standard has not changed, only the receiver
capable of receiving it has changed therefore it is not cupable.  The
counter argument would be that the FCC was fully aware that existing
receivers at the time the standard was adopted could not replicate NTSC
reception in all situations and that it had no intention of adopting a
technical standard for receivers and reception but only a receiver 'fix' at
some indeterminate date in the future.

A class action suit against FCC has little prospect of success but public
opinion may be just effective.   States had more success with the tobacco
companies for lying and selling a product dangerous to the health of the
public.   The public can never successfully sue government agencies except
to affect change through their elected representatives.  But a case could be
made by putting Sinclair, Schubin, Miller and (dare I mention) Demot Nolan
before a commission of inquiry to drive the point home.   I am sure that
senator McCain would offer a sympathic ear.

If real justice were served no currently available DTV set or STB would be
permitted to be sold without a guarantee of its replacement when a 5th
generation or better receiver is made available at a cost to the government
and not the consumer.