[opendtv] Re: News: DTV Boxes Could Cost $1 Billion

  • From: Eory Frank-p22212 <Frank.Eory@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 11:45:43 -0700

>From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
>To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 12:28:42 -0400

>Only after the questionable testing of ATSC and DVB-T by the MSTV did
>broadcasters come up with a list of "criteria" that included portable and
>mobile,

Actually, the "broadcasters' requirements" came before the MSTV tests.

>and that was addressed with the ATSC's recently adopted E-VSB
>standard.

Really? As far as I can tell, the only thing addressed by E-VSB is the ability
to implement hierarchical modulation with a lower C/N threshold for the high
priority stream. E-VSB does not address the broadcasters' requirements for
portable or mobile reception. It does not address the multipath issue, and by
inference, it therefore does not address the broadcasters' requirement for
indoor reception with simple antennas. It simply lowers the noise threshold for
a (hopefully small) chunk of the DTV multiplex.

If E-VSB were used for SD multicasting, this could help some of my hypothetical
football viewers who just missed 8-VSB reception by 1 or 2 dB, but at the cost
of degraded HD picture quality for everyone else. And even in the 100% E-VSB
mode -- completely incompatible with existing receivers -- there will still be
some viewers inside the Grade B countour who will "just miss" E-VSB reception
by a few dB on portable receivers. Nevermind mobile receivers -- they require
something altogether different (and as JW likes to point out, a business model
would be nice too).

-- Frank