[opendtv] Re: News: DTV Boxes Could Cost $1 Billion

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 14:06:45 -0400

John Shutt wrote:

> Mobile reception was
> never a criteria for the ATSC system, even though it clearly
> was part of the NTSC system.

John, are you sure that mobile was part of NTSC's mission
statement? NTSC is horrible in mobile conditions, what with
ghost images coming and going, and everything blanking out
periodically. I never thought mobility was anything but
"try it and see," with NTSC.

> It was only AFTER the Sinclair
> petition that
> people here realized that a digital television system even
> COULD replicate
> NTSC reception vis-a-vis low signal level (via hierarchical
> modulation),
> portable and mobile reception, and dropout free reception using simple
> indoor antennas.

I don't know which people you mean, but aren't you overstating
this? It has been common knowledge that lowering the bit rate
makes reception more bulletproof. You don't need HM for that.