[opendtv] Re: News: DTV Boxes Could Cost $1 Billion

  • From: "Dale Kelly" <res0xtey@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 22:00:05 -0700

Bert wrote:
> Motorola, which hopes to create new wireless and DTV markets for
> itself, pledged to do what it can to move things along. The company
> is offering to have a $67 converter on the market if the government
> completes the DTV switch by early 2007.

> My guess is that if the electronic components are mounted inside the
> TV or recording device, the incremental price must therefore be on
> the order of $35 to $40 tops. Way to go, Moto! I have to believe the
> cost is less than the $50 estimate they previously gave.
> Bert

And, what level of performance will this <$100 "converter box" provide? Will
it equal that of a 4th or 5th generation ATSC receiver, which is what will
most likely be required to satisfy the needs of many current OTA only
viewers.

Example: Marks apartment, where a simple antennae achieves satisfactory
analog performance but where a 5th generation receiver is required for DTV
reception, may be similar to the needs of many OTA viewers.

Also, the government's proposed giveaway program doesn't address an ATSC
receiver mounted inside the TV, which would seemingly require the giveaway
of the TV also. It only addresses the "converter box" concept, as far as I
know anyway.