[opendtv] Re: News: Cable Relents on Channels for the Family

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 10:36:21 -0800

By the way, look at the list again when adjusted for inflation:
http://www.the-movie-times.com/thrsdir/alltime.mv?adjusted+ByAG

Dan Grimes

                      dan.grimes@xxxxxx

                      du                       To:       opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

                      Sent by:                 cc:

                      opendtv-bounce@fr        Subject:  [opendtv] Re: News:
Cable Relents on Channels for the Family
                      eelists.org

                      12/13/2005 10:30

                      AM

                      Please respond to

                      opendtv

Perhaps my use of the word "children" is too narrow.  Perhaps "family
friendly" is better.
I think the website you sent is enlightening.  Doesn't it seem like there
are a lot of "G" films at the top when there are much fewer "G" films made
than "R" or "PG-13"?

Also, the ratings do not connect with the content of the film.  For
instance, "The Incredibles" and "E.T." are rated PG, as is "Jaws".

                      "Don Munsil"

                      <don@xxxxxxxxxx>         To:
<opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                      Sent by:                 cc:

                      opendtv-bounce@fr        Subject:  [opendtv] Re:
News: Cable Relents on Channels for the Family
                      eelists.org

                      12/13/2005 10:00

                      AM

                      Please respond to

                      opendtv

From: <dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx>
> Movies that relate to children are by far the most profitable and the
> longest running in the theater.

I really don't see where you get this. The top ten grossing films of all
time has two arguably kid-oriented movies on it, Shrek 2 at #3 and E.T. at
#4. Neither of those is rated G. The top-grossing G rated movie is Finding
Nemo, at #13.

http://www.the-movie-times.com/thrsdir/alltime.mv?domestic+ByDG

Movies that appeal to a wide demographic including parents and teenagers
are
certainly among the top grossing films of all time, but very few of them
"relate to children." I wouldn't take my 5-year-old to see Titanic, the top

grossing film, nor would I take him to see any of the others in the top 10.

We watched Shrek, figuring he could handle "mild language," and he found it

too scary. Finding Nemo, on the other hand, he loved, while I thought the
sharks would freak him out. He loves sharks. Go figure.

The movie industry and the TV industry respond pretty strongly to financial

incentive. If child-friendly movies were the most profitable and longest
running, they'd make a ton more of them. As it is, they do churn out a
constant stream of kid movies, but they're neither the most profitable or
the longest running as a general rule.

My prediction, by the way, is that when the cable companies make these
"family friendly" channel packages, they'll be purchased by tiny numbers of

people. If they get 1% uptake, I'll be very surprised.

Don

-- Type: image/gif
-- File: graycol.gif

-- Type: image/gif