[opendtv] Re: News: Behind The Internet TV Revolution

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2010 16:50:14 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

>> What I got out of this article is that the "revolution" to
>> Internet TV is all about making ads more effective when seen on
>> a TV, and they also alluded to other new revenue models coming.
>
> Glad you are getting it Bert!

Funny how you never mentioned it, Craig. The reason to "optimize format," and
the other blather we saw recently, was about ads. Not about the content people
are actually looking for, when they look for Internet TV. I said previously
that there's no reason to be forced into walled gardens for Internet TV. What I
should have said was, there's no reason CONSUMERS care about to be forced into
walled gardens. What these guys are looking for is not a better experience with
the content, but rather, with the ads. What Internet TV viewers can (more)
easily ignore now, they will make sure cannot be ignored.

> I will say that the audio ads are far more effective than the
> visual ads in the Pandora GUI.

So much for the hype about how wonderful Internet radio is, because you don't
have to listen to ads.

This past week, I've had to endure days of meetings where annoying half-truth
laden hyperbole were flying left and right. Maybe I'm more "sensitive" to hype,
as a result.

>> Not sure about interactive ads for TV applications. This falls in
>> the same category as interactive TV. We just saw recently how well
>> that did.
>
> Not the same as Interactive TV at all. When I am being entertained I
> don't like interruptions. Most of the interactive services have been
> poorly implemented; and there is the reality that there is all kinds
> of interaction going on when people have the TV turned on - through
> PCs and mobile devices.

You're going off track, Craig. The point was that the ad interruptions in the
Internet TV program were going to offer some form of interactivity. The
interruptions will CONTINUE to exist, only now supposedly the interactive ads
would be more effective than the previous ones.

While interactivity is what people do with two-way devices, including the
ancient telephone, it's not what people are looking for when they watch TV
entertainment or when they go to the movies. It's a different activity. I think
that expecting people to suddenly become immersed in the interactive ads which
interrupt their TV show or movie, is simply not going to happen.

> You may not interact while being entertained, but you may go back to
> the bookmarks later if you are interested in what the ad offered.

Possibly. Whether that technique is any more effective than simply repeating
the ad is something to wonder.

Anyway, point being, all this hype about walled Internet TV gardens has
revealed itself for what it is.