[opendtv] Re: New approach seeks to optimize DTV spectrum allotment

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2010 16:56:31 -0500

Dale Kelly wrote:

> Do we actually see a sign of objectivity, regarding this issue,
> at the FCC?

http://broadcastengineering.com/RF/optimize-dtv-spectrum-allotment-0805/

No more than we see signs of objectivity from Craig wrt Apple products.

The reason I dismiss these "techniques" (so-called) is that they would stunt
the growth of the new FOTA DTV medium just when it should be growing. For
example, just in the past week or two, our CW50 affiliate added a third program
on their multiplex. It happens to be a Chinese channel, which does not interest
me, but that last bit is irrelevant. The relevant point is, DTT is just now
getting started. Any thought of sharing multipexes is way too premature.

It's sort of like expecting US companies to employ a bunch of extra people real
fast, just to help your political future, while at the same time dangling all
manner of ominous-sounding tax hikes you're about to levy on them. It doesn't
work. Give these businesses some sense of stability.