[opendtv] Re: New VoIP and browser options show chinks in iPhone armor

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 09:02:18 -0500

At 2:50 PM -0800 2/8/10, Kon Wilms wrote:
Amusing. In some aspects the iPhone is so far ahead, in others it has
stumbled and fallen out of pure greed.

I realize I've pointed this out before, but the 'phone' aspect of a
smartphone always was a cheap trick to lock in subscribers to a
service, limited by an antiquated numeric format. Phones are finally
evolving into 'communication' devices.

And Apple and Google have been "helping" the telcos make the transition from an antiquated voice service model. Give Apple a little credit in that they have built an ecosystem that has transformed the music and now the cellular industries.

Fortunately, Jobs understands the motivation of greed that has driven these industries and used it to feather Apple's nest and to force these transitions. It would be a mistake to believe that Apple and Google expect voice communications to be the driving force in the future.

I don't need an 'app' to use a 3rd party service on my N900. The same
number pad that dials up the traditional phone system, dials up google
voice users. A contact is uniquely identified by their name and a
primary service -- which may be numeric, email or IM based.
Communicating with any contact is done by tapping on their name and
letting the framework beneath it do it's job. This is the direction
Apple needs to move, not firing up 'apps' (all of which duplicate the
antiquated carrier functionality).

This is the direction that Apple HAS moved. Contacts on the iPhone are all based on names, not numbers...

Apple has chosen NOT to position the iPad as a phone, although it will easily support IP telephony. No additional charge if you can live with Wi-Fi. $30 month if you want 3G.