[opendtv] Re: New VoIP and browser options show chinks in iPhone armor

  • From: Kon Wilms <konfoo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 14:50:09 -0800

On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 2:38 PM, Manfredi, Albert E
<albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Other key voice players are rushing to take advantage of the new API,
> including Cisco and Skype. The latter says a 3G VoIP app for the iPhone and
> iPod Touch (and new iPad) will be available "soon", once

Amusing. In some aspects the iPhone is so far ahead, in others it has
stumbled and fallen out of pure greed.

I realize I've pointed this out before, but the 'phone' aspect of a
smartphone always was a cheap trick to lock in subscribers to a
service, limited by an antiquated numeric format. Phones are finally
evolving into 'communication' devices.

I don't need an 'app' to use a 3rd party service on my N900. The same
number pad that dials up the traditional phone system, dials up google
voice users. A contact is uniquely identified by their name and a
primary service -- which may be numeric, email or IM based.
Communicating with any contact is done by tapping on their name and
letting the framework beneath it do it's job. This is the direction
Apple needs to move, not firing up 'apps' (all of which duplicate the
antiquated carrier functionality).

Cheers
Kon