[opendtv] Re: New Thread: What becomes of Legacy Analog Equipment

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 02:58:43 -0500

Tom Barry wrote:

> Let me guess. Until recently you still subscribed to the paper
> edition of TV Guide and even now you use the Internet to
> PRINT a hard copy of guides from zap2it, TitanTV or some
> such. Is this because your PC is in another room, or usually
> turned off?

PC usually on, but of course it's in another room. I suppose if I had two PCs,
one of them would be in the den, as another input device for my stereo and TV
system. But if someone wants to work on the PC now, and someone else is
watching a movie, TV, or listening to music, it's far more practical *not* to
have the PC in the den?

> And you would like the guide to be on your TV but you
> don't want to pay for it monthly. Nor do I. I assume you do
> not want an always-on broadband connected PC displaying
> on your TV because it is too much like another darned set
> top box?

Seems like a waste, unless that PC is part of my audio/video system. Which I'm
sure eventually will happen, given how much content is starting to appear over
the Internet.

> Life would probably be much simpler if you just got an extra
> cheapest lowest-power-on-standby computer and connected
> it to your TV.

Well, I'd have a hard time justifying a cheap-o PC for this purpose. Because
printing the TV schedule, or buying the Sunday paper, is really extremely
simple and cheap.

ON THE OTHER HAND, a good media center PC, with very quiet fan and disc drives,
would make a whole lot of sense, and could be used for the guide and for a
whole lot more exciting stuff. It could become the PVR, another TV source, and
a radio tuner for all sorts of international stations. But it has to be very
quiet to take over that role.

And then, of course, I always come back to the fact that PSIP *ought* to be the
tool for the program guide job. That's what it's for. But it's just possible,
or even likely, that other schemes will take over what PSIP can't manage to do
right.