[opendtv] Re: New DVDs already sparking copy-protection confusion

  • From: Jeroen Stessen <jeroen.stessen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 08:36:54 +0100

Hi,
Donald Koeleman:
> So, when is Philips going to fix their fairly expensive LCD sets and
allow
> for a P input, instead of the current i only input. Faster HDMI decoder
> chips shouldn't be an issue on a 4K Euro retail 37" tv.

The HDMI receiver is not the issue, but the fact that a major part of
the signal processing chain can't do ~150 MS/s pixel rate. Then we can't
insert graphics for the user interface, no double window, etc. This would
degrade the TV to a dumb monitor. Besides, apart from PCs we do not have
any 1080p50 or 1080p60 sources. All settop boxes max out at 720p or 1080i.

I'll be the first to agree with you that the settop box of the future will

be a PC, and of course we will be working on fulfilling your wish...

Best regards,
-- Jeroen

| From:     Jeroen H. Stessen   | E-mail:  Jeroen.Stessen@xxxxxxxxxxx |
| Building: SFJ-5.22 Eindhoven  | Deptmt.: Philips Applied Technologies |
| Phone:    ++31.40.2732739     | Visiting & mail address: Glaslaan 2 |
| Mobile:   ++31.6.44680021     | NL 5616 LW Eindhoven, the Netherlands |