[opendtv] Re: NTSC TVs still for sale at Best Buy

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2007 18:58:24 -0500

Cliff Benham wrote:

> Stephen Long wrote:
>>
>> I visited my local Best Buy today and found many LCD TVs
>> for sale that only have NTSC receive capabilities.
>
> I think this applies to sets manufactured on or after March 01,
> 2007, not sets in inventory and in the warehouse.

You and Mark Schubin are most likely right. I was looking for the exact
wording, but couldn't find the actual FCC order. What I did find was (I
guess) a misleading FCC consumer facts statement:

http://www.dtv.gov/DTV_booklet.pdf

About 1/3 of the way down in this booklet:

"'Integrated' or all-in-one DTV sets have built-in tuners to receive
over-the-air DTV broadcasts and a screen to display the programming.
Other than a standard antenna, you don't need any other equipment to
receive DTV.

"The FCC has adopted rules that require all digital TVs sold in the
United States to include a DTV tuner. Today, all TVs with a screen size
of 25 inches or larger are required to have a DTV tuner. By March 1,
2007, all TVs sold in the United States, regardless of screen size, must
incorporate a DTV tuner."

Perhaps they should have specified, "all TVs sold TO RETAILERS in the
United States ..." And by the way, the order also applies to recording
devices.