[opendtv] Re: NTSC Cutoff Date

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 12:10:44 +0100

You talk to broadcasters, yeah, right.  Let me put it to you plainly.  The
largest market in the U.S. with the highest degree of cable penetration --
for more than 25 years -- has been San Diego, CA.  Period.

In this market, more than 15% of broadcast viewership -- by Nielsen
numbers -- is direct via off-the air reception, even though about 9% of the
TV homes lack cable or satellite.  Of course, San Diego has extensive out of
market viewership, since Tijuana is just across the border and technically
not the same viewership market, although much buying in San Diego comes from
sur de linea/frontera.

So, I'm either lying about San Diego's cable penetration, or you're lying
about either talking to broadcasters or, they are in VERY small markets.
Speaking of less desirable viewers.

It's fair to say that OTA viewers are less desirable economically than cable
viewers, but that analysis does not go far enough.  The HU broadcast
stations in cable households at any time of the day hovers around 50% of the
viewership of broadcast stations in broadcast only homes.  Also, as ANY
SIMPLE ANALYSIS OF NIELSEN FIGURES OVER THE LAST TWO DECADES WILL SHOW YOU,
in virtually EVERY MARKET, people in broadcast homes watch 25% or more TV
than those in cable homes.  And, they don't watch a second of cable.

And, what broadcasters tell you about desirability of the viewers is not
borne out by what it advertised on TV and cable.  The old "spot TV" market
where package goods (Kaopectate, etc) supported local TV is gone; those
advertisers have gone to national cable spots on obscure, female-oriented
networks.  While there is significant advertising of large capital goods
(like cars) on local and national cable, network and TV dominates this
field.

I could go on -- it looks like I will be shortly starting work on a
"feasibility study" for a "performance-based" advertiser interested in
developing something quite new in that field -- but I can be continually
amazed by the lack of understanding of TV and advertising.

John Willkie, the jw that watches TV content and commercials in the same
context.