[opendtv] Re: My new TV supports QAM

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 20:45:31 -0400

> Thanks for sharing you newly informed observation with us, Tom. You spent

> much effort, IIRC, on previously telling us we were wrong.

Uhh, actually I was on the other side of that argument, being the one usually claiming that is where TV is headed for those who mostly watch the nets and don't usually pay for premium zillion channel packages. But there were many opinions then and I don't remember if you had one or who said what when.

More specifically, I'm claiming the Lifeline Cable crowd will still be able to watch their Lifeline cable, in HDTV, at Lifeline cable prices and that they will choose to do so once that option becomes obvious.

> Also, I noted some months ago that using a QAM tuner, one
> can also watch some premium channels, and that was on Cox Cable San Diego. > Funny you didn't mention that "feature" with Cox Cable Gainesville, a much,
> much smaller system.

Dunno about San Diego but AFAIK here on Cox in Gainesville I cannot receive ANY digital premium stations (even SDTV) without paying for them, on any of my equipment. They are all encrypted.

- Tom

John Willkie wrote:
I believe that was "your" impression, however, the informed -- that is,
people who have actually tried -- impression was something different, in
line with your current experience.

Thanks for sharing you newly informed observation with us, Tom.  You spent
much effort, IIRC, on previously telling us we were wrong.

I'd be interested in hearing of these exceptions, as they violate FCC part
15 regulations, which could involve very expensive fines against the
retailer, distributor and importer.

You see, with laws, it's not the compliance that's news; it's
non-compliance. Also, I noted some months ago that using a QAM tuner, one
can also watch some premium channels, and that was on Cox Cable San Diego.
Funny you didn't mention that "feature" with Cox Cable Gainesville, a much,
much smaller system.

John Willkie