[opendtv] Re: My new TV supports QAM

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 12:39:38 -0400

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
> Anyway, since those days, many or most ATSC receivers have also been
> capable of demodulating at least unencrypted 64- and 256-QAM, but not
> all. For instance, the Digital Stream 3150 plus of 2004 cannot decode
> QAM.

Yes, the CEA document just linked by Paul Schomburg's post puts that figure at 90% support. Most, but not all.

Again:
<http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/prod/ecfs/retrieve.cgi?native_or_pdf=pdf&id_document=6519558007>

- Tom

Tom Barry wrote:

Are you stating that all digital TV's (with tuners) are
required to support unencrypted QAM?

Certainly not. The cable reception part was always meant to be an
agreement between CE manufacturers and cable companies, which was
necessary mostly to make the built-in receiver of value also for cable
customers.

If I remember correctly, the first receiver that permitted this QAM
reception along with 8-VSB was the Broadcom BCM3510, and the year was
2000.

http://www.transmitter.com/curr2000/curr001023.html

The reason I thought this was a significant milestone is that it allowed
the Grand Alliance vision of a combined DTT and digital cable receiver
to be achieved without having to implement 16-VSB for cable. Cable had
been resisting 16-VSB, ever since way back in the mid 1990s, so now that
resistance did not mean that sensible receivers were impossible.

Tom Barry                  trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx