[opendtv] Re: Multicast to the World?

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2009 09:34:57 -0700

We have the multicast protocol enabled on our routers on campus so we can
multicast to all computers here.  It is great to be able to stream live
events to the campus community.  But it sure would be nice to be able to
stream live events to the local community or even the world.  At this
point, we have done events with limited viewers so unicast isn't a big
issue.  But we did have a congressional oversight committee meeting once
and instead of live streaming (to the general public and news outlets, we
did live stream in house for overflow seating) we had to encode it later
and provide it VOD.  But it would have been intriguing to provide it live.
 To do so today, we would need to seek an outside streaming provider.  I
look forward to when that is not required.

Can you point me to information on the security issues of multicasting?

Dan

Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 16:42:47 -0400
Subject: [opendtv] Re: Multicast to the World?
From: Don Moore <don@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

The MultiCast Protocol is normally blocked by most ISP Routers.  It
must be unblocked at several levels - many of which neither the
originator nor the recipient have control or influence.

It is as much a security concern as it is a concern over content
distribution that the ISP's can't control or charge.