[opendtv] Re: Movie Studios See a Threat in Growth of Redbox

  • From: Bob Miller <robmxa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2009 23:56:51 -0400

OTA is basically dead today. The current owners have not had a clue
for the last ten years. If they have one now good for them but I doubt
it.

Sell their spectrum to others who having paid for it will have at
least an idea of how it should be used and will be prodded by the
thought of losing all that sunk capital, the cost of buying it. And if
they fail another will be there to take over the spectrum at some
lower price and another idea until someone gets it right.

At the moment we are just waiting for the fat lady to sing IMO or some
congresscritter to notice that no one is using the OTA TV spectrum.

At the moment LPTV station owners are having their feet held to the
fire without must carry to save them. They truly know the pain. Their
CBA recently closed down.

While in the UK 40% of homes (10.2 million homes) have OTA DTV
attached to their primary household TV. How do you like that number
LPTV station owners? Of that 10.2 million, 9.8 million rely on OTA DTV
solely for their TV. That would be 60 million homes in the US out of a
total of 110 million.

In the UK they are using their OTA DTV spectrum, we are not. Nature
abhors a vacuum. Smart phone data usage is increasing by 300 to 500
percent a year. There is not enough spectrum allocated to handle it
including the recently auctioned 700 MHz spectrum. Do you hear a giant
sucking sound?

LPTV owners are considering using most of their spectrum with cell
companies for data. You know, other than that MPEG2 required SD
program.

Bob Miller