[opendtv] Re: More on Verizon & Google

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 08:52:06 -0400

Yes, you did focus on the crux of our disagreements on this topic.

So, you are of the opinion that TV in the US would best be distributed only at Blocbuster rentals or as paid downloads.

No. Once again I am simply pointing out facts.

OTA TV is not free either. Somebody is paying the >$40 billion a year that the congloms and local broadcasters haul in, not to mention the retrans consent fees. The cost is simply hidden, but not very well, as the content is constantly filled with ads.

Great. Let's do the same with the Internet. Your ISP will block all access to the Internet, and you can pay for access, web page by web page. What a great improvement that would be. Rupert Murdoch would approve. As would your ISP.

There are many business models out there, but there is one thing in common with all.

THEY ARE NOT FREE.

They are either advertiser supported, paid, or offered as a service by a company, which in turn must bury the cost of this service in the price of their products.

The one exception to this rule is the number of bloggers out there who are giving their stuff away for the thrill of the exposure...

But most of us do not depend on bloggers for real news, although at time they are the only ones to accurately report a story.

I wonder why the ATSC and DVB, not to mention the IETF, didn't understand the wisdom of this model? They should make you Chairman of the FCC, Craig.

I'll take it on one condition Bert.

I want to be the CEO hired to take it down.