[opendtv] Re: More on Cable Cards

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 22:41:53 -0500

At 1:37 PM -0700 1/11/05, Eory Frank-p22212 wrote:
>As you know, it will be the MSOs -- not the CE mfrs -- that need to
>buy PODs, whether they're 1-way single stream or 2-way multistream.
>Do you think that if/when there are DTV sets or STBs available that
>could use them, that the PODs would not be available?

Yes. That is what I am being told, or to be more specific, the CE
manufacturers are beng told to put two pod connectors into a device
if they want to feed two tuners.

>>The two-way spec is also documented. Unfortunately, as you are aware,
>>the issues are more political (competitive) than technical.
>
>Yes, the two-way spec is 4 or 5 years old, IIRC.

You make my point so eloquently!

;-)

>  >>A box with embedded CA is going to be cheaper to build than one that
>>>requires ANY CableCards, whether it's two of the existing CableCards
>>>or just one of the Multistream CableCards.
>
>>Yup! And the cable industry would like to keep it that way.
>
>I think you have it completely backwards. There have been enough
>press releases and speeches over the last year regarding the sub-$50
>cable STB, the cable transition to all-digital, etc. that it seems
>like the MSOs want to foster lots of competition in cable
>"terminals" -- not just continue on forever with the Moto/S-A
>duopoly in subscriber equipment.

Unforttunately this does not explain why the NCTA, Cable Labs, et al
are putting the full court press on the FCC to rescind the rule
requiring the boxes they lease to use pod cards starting in July.