[opendtv] Re: Mobile broadcasters face technical, business hurdles

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 13:57:49 -0500

John Shutt wrote:

> I am dumbfounded by the lack of interest in the Patel/McDonald
> patent for this use.

This is my ongoing aggravation with the TV industry in this country.
Collusion and greed. Or so it seems, over and over again.

Like you, I also don't know how successful the mobile DVB-T devices
really are, but the fact is, at least they bloody well exist. Same goes
with DVB-T recorders. They exist, and have for years.

Over here, instead, it's like pulling teeth to find any of these
products. Why? Because of the incestuous deals made between different
parts of the industry. And the buying public that actually prides itself
in being their patsy. It's a badge of honor to get hooked and reeled in.
Incredible.

So, if there's a way to make broadcasters use some third party
subscription service in the 700 MHz band to reach mobile customers, do
you think those third party nets would easily put up with some clever
Patel/McDonald/Limberg product? Sucha  product would bypass their
special nets and make regular 8T-VSB accessible to mobile platforms.
They'll fight tooth and nail to keep such products strictly off store
shelves. Much better to salivate over the subscription service they can
sell.