[opendtv] Re: Microsoft's Masters: Whose Rules Does Your Media Center Play By?

  • From: "Adam Goldberg" <adam_g@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 12:58:20 -0400

> The bottom line in all of this is that the rc_descriptor is only a flag,
> and that its real function should be to alert the receiver to the

With respect, Bert, I think you're rewriting history.  The rc_descriptor was
standardized in order to have a bit in the ATSC stream which indicates "do
what the FCC requires of you" and absence of which indicates "no need to do
it".  It is only due to the way MPEG Transport Stream Descriptors work that
it has a length and optional data.  Few have ever suggested what might go in
there, and post-BF-overturning, it is even less likely.