[opendtv] Re: MPEG-2 et al

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 08:04:00 -0500

Tom McMahon wrote:
 > H.264/AVC was designed to serve many masters and the test cases were
explicitly manifold (in contrast to the above).  I think we did
 > a pretty good job of bashing the mathematical concepts against a
severe range of representative market-based content during the
 > development process. That is why we're seeing 1) such good coding
results and 2) why H.264/AVC will only get that much better as
 > ENcoder manufacturers better-employ the range of tools we've built
into the standard.

Well, the Nero AVC codec already appears to be winning in the most
recent www.doom9.net (DVD rippers board) codec shoot out as implemented.

But is it possible with the AVC design to reduce the resolution without
re-encoding as I was discussing, for transmission, stat-mux, etc?  This
does not seem to have been a priority in the design and yet might be
very valuable commercially where video it must be encoded once and
delivered at various rates.

- Tom