[opendtv] Re: MPAA wants to stop DVRs from recording some movies

  • From: John Willkie <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2008 17:22:22 -0400 (EDT)

it's a miracle, Bert that you don't crash into bridge abutments to prove a
point.

I'll me minimalist, since this won't help you in any way.

Section 8 of the U.S. constituion provides for the powers of Congress,
including

"To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited
Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings
and Discoveries;"

Nothing in the damn Betamax decision trumps that.  (Indeed, it was the very
copyright that extends from this clause that Universal was attempting to extend
to the home.)

So, authors (content owners) have the EXCLUSIVE right to their respective
writings and discoveries.

YOU HAVE NO RIGHTS!  THEY HAVE THEM ALL!  You have the liberty to watch tv, and
they can grant you limited rights of viewing or whatever.  THEY CAN ENFORCE
THEIR COPYRIGHTS IN ANY WAY THAT DOESN'T VIOLATE THE U.S. CONSTITUTION OR
FEDERAL LAW, INCLUDING REQUIRING YOU TO DANCE NUDE IN YOUR HOME WHILE SINGING
"THE INTERNATIONALE" IN RUSSIAN OVER THE PHONE BEFORE THEY PERMIT YOU TO WATCH
EACH 30-SECOND SEGMENTS OF THEIR CONTENT.  I suspect such a requirement would
tend to decrease the market value of their content, but they can impose such a
requirement, and you are s-o-l, since no court of competent jurisdiction can
grant you a work-around.

They can, even limit your ability to view or record, or even playback content
via any electronic means.  EXCLUSIVE MEANS EXCLUSIVE.

If they sue you for recording content that was delivered over the air, you have
an "affirmative defense" by using the Betamax decision, as long as you meet all
the tests.  However, that only grants limited benefits to you.  You want to
extend that to whole new fields, without a SHRED of a HINT of a court- or
constituionally-granted right.

And, it's unfair to say that the Betamax decision granted a right to make home
recordings.  It actually ONLY found (in this context) that private,
non-commerical time shifting recording (not multiple playbacks; another aspect
of your foolishness) was a substantially non-infringing use.

Once the copyright runs out -- which Craig points out, the terms of which have
been extended several times, including (in my opinion) doing so at least one
time in violation of the U.S. Constitution, you have the liberty, but not the
right, to make use of their content.  It's what we call "public domain"
content.

Now, I suspect you are foolish enough to try to say that a law or a court
decision trumps the U.S. Constitution, which can be found in hyperlink here
http://www.usconstitution.net/const.html.  But, informed readers know otherwise.

It will be "childishly amusing" to see what thin reed you hang your next
misbegotten argument upon.