[opendtv] Re: MPAA wants to stop DVRs from recording some movies

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 21:53:29 -0400

> You know, sort of like locking your car. No one is allowed
> to steal stuff from your car, or steal the car itself. That
> does NOT mean that car manufacturers don't need to install
> locks, however. They should, definitely.

In this climate of proud and deliberate, peristent, obtuseness, I should not
have used the above analogy.

My intention was merely to say that the problem of unlawful copy protection can
be attacked at both ends. At the FOTA broadcaster or content owner's end
(supply), copy protection is not allowed. Period.

But that DOES NOT mean that CE manufacturers have to trust the supply end to do
what's lawful. Since there are simple means to make the system work as the
courts intend, CE vendors should use those simple means. No need to trust the
other guy to be doing the right thing, in this case.

Or restated, you are NOT "circumventing" a copy protection mechanism, since
such mechanism does not, or more accurately should not, by law, exist.