[opendtv] Re: MPAA wants to stop DVRs from recording some movies

  • From: "Adam Goldberg" <adam_g@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 08:32:07 -0400

It doesn't matter if there's been prosecution under the terms you state.
The fact is that 1201 says what it says in reasonably plain language:  17
USC 1201(a)(1)(A), "No person shall circumvent a technological measure that
effectively controls access to a work protected under this title. [...]"

This is surely in conflict with "... broadcasters who transmit "copy never,"
knowing full well that at least SOME recorders out there will be prevented
from copying, are clearly being non-conformant to that court decision."

If your position is that anyone who indicates Copy Never is "non-conformant
to that court decision", then surely 1201 is also non-conformant (as it
makes it a crime to conform (in certain cases)).