[opendtv] Re: MPAA wants to stop DVRs from recording some movies

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 08:04:41 -0400

I am not a constitutional scholar or an IP lawyer. But one test of a law is the history and practice of how it is actually enforced.

Can you provide any example of how any individual has been successfully prosecuted under the DMCA 1201 for circumventing copy protection in his own home for personal use of material to which he had legal access and when he was not otherwise engaged in unauthorized acts of mass distribution?

- Tom

Adam Goldberg wrote:
With that conclusion, surely you believe that the DMCA 1201
anti-circumvention provisions are unconstitutional?