[opendtv] Re: Low-Power KAXT Goes Digital With 20 Sub-Channels Available

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2009 18:44:43 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Cliff Benham wrote:
>
>> An independent station in the Mid-Atlantic region
>> broadcasts 5 programs that all compare visually
>> and subjectively to the 240 line resolutiuon of
>> VHS.

We have four stations here that transmit 5 programs over the 19.39 Mb/s
channel, or one HD + 3 SD (and one also an M/H stream). I've found the quality
of individual streams to be variable. The worst ones are perhaps comparable to
slower VHS speeds IN SOME WAYS, but certainly not the color smear.

On the other hand, I don't recoil at MPEG artifacts as much as I despised VHS
fuzziness and analog ghost and fuzziness in OTA stations.

> 1. VHS was not NTSC quality, even in it's high
> quality mode - the luma channel needs about 330
> TVL to equal NTSC.

Just to be clear. I don't doubt that transmitting 20 streams in one multiplex
won't give super quality for each stream. HOWEVER, please note that nothing in
the article made any claim about "slow speed VHS quality."

And furthermore, I would submit that this would be an impressive feat *EVEN IF*
H.264 compression were being used.

All of which is great. Because it shows that with cunning and perseverence,
smart people can make use of the OTA spectrum in ways that the naysayers have
forever feared might come to pass.