[opendtv] Re: Lip sync problem resurfaces

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 06:15:49 -0400

jeroen.stessen@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
<q
We have spent countless manyears in designing low-latency video
processing. Life would have been a lot easier if a higher latency
were allowed. But for the reasons stated above, it is not possible.
/q>

For digital TV many displays these days have either digital inputs or
an integrated receiver.  In either case it would seem you could have
both access to the signal and the needed knowledge of how much you
would like to delay the audio.  So it would seem desirable to do so.

Even with DTCP or HDCP connections it would seem desirable to pass
through the audio to an AV Receiver, doing nothing but delaying that
audio in the digital domain.  Video scalers should be able to do this
also, with each component adding the correct delay.

As long as it is some form of digital audio it would seem possible to
pass it through many components without degradation to a final AV
receiver that has to deal with the many user options and audio
processing choices that users might want these days.

With all the things it is possible to do to video signals these days I
don't think targeting zero delay video processing is the best choice.
  Of course, once everyone starts being bothered by delay then  even
low end AV receivers will probably start offering a variable audio
delay anyway.

- Tom