[opendtv] Re: Let the games begin

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 11:37:11 -0500

At 11:29 AM -0500 11/15/06, Bob Miller wrote:

That is the key question, "Why?" The answer is that no entreprenuer
except USDTV has seen any merit in doing anything with OTA. With the
proper tools there would be a dozen already and they all would either
be doing very well or have been bought out by others doing even
better. There would be over 120 million COFDM OTA receivers in the US
by now if we had allowed DVB-T in 2000. More than the number of
households IMO.

USDTV is back in business but still on its death bed IMO. They are
hoping for 5th or 6th gen receivers to appear but are not counting on
A-VSB. So who is or who will? For A-VSB to thrive you are going to
need a lot of players who are really on board.

USDTV is in a lose/lose position. As we saw with On Digital in Great Britain, it is not a viable business model to charge a reduced price for a reduced multichannel service. In addition USDTV has to deal with the difficulty of establishing reliable service, and they are at the mercy of the broadcasters who are leasing them spectrum.

On the other hand, a multichannel service that is free, creates a platform that content providers actually want to be part of.

Go Figure...