[opendtv] Re: Let the games begin

  • From: "Bob Miller" <robmxa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 17:24:15 -0500

Agreed OTA will be for portable/mobile. But how do we do that with
A-VSB and an MPEG2 required SD channel. A-VSB takes us down to 9.34
Mbps plus some part of 1.0 Mbps minus whatever you need for that one
MPEG2 SD program. How do we do that without being able to do SFN's or
DOCRs because of legacy receivers?

The US OTA is locked up in a death spiral because they can't deal with
legacy receivers without opening up the modulation debate.

The right thing to do is have that debate not stay the course. Lets
have a go at doing the second half of the MSTV test in the open. Then
lets have a hearing on Homeland Security and the need for a decent
modulation.

Bob Miller

On 11/14/06, Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm not sure about DOCR's (but not my area).  From Doug Lung's report:

--------quote------------
While a single-channel distributed transmission system offers the most
flexibility and the best performance, it requires distributing
programming to each site through a microwave or fiber connection.
Digital on-channel repeaters, or DOCRs, appear to be much simpler, since
they receive the primary station off-air and retransmit it on the same
channel, eliminating the need for the microwave or fiber connections.
--------quote------------

But I'm of the school that says we will soon have very fast fiber
connecting all important (worth paying money) fixed locations in this
country anyway.  OTA TV will be for portable/mobile.  In that world
Digital On-channel repeaters might have less value compared to the
single channel distributed system.  But again, I have zero credentials
in this area.

Is it really certain that DOCR's create enough pre-echo to trash legacy
receivers?

Anyway, the transition is taking so long that nobody may care by the
time it's done, at least if we don't finish it soon.  Otherwise we can
wait for my own vision of fiber to everywhere coupled with WiFi/UWB from
the nodes giving us all our broadband/HDTV/Phone/3D/Smellyvision.

I'm still very skeptical ATSC will ever be sufficient but I'm also still
very convinced we no choice but to get on with it now to just find out
(or prove it).

- Tom

Find my resume and video filters at www.trbarry.com