[opendtv] Re: Let the games begin

  • From: "Hunold, Ken" <KRH@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 08:59:24 -0500

I happened to run across an LG HDTV in a hotel room in DC, but it had
been crippled (via hotel-related software, I assume) so that I could not
use the RF input.  At the time I wondered how that would fly in view of
the tuner mandate.  It did have a tuner inside, I just couldn't use it.

The details about how I tried to make it work are fuzzy now, but yes, I
did have an OTA antenna with me and even an old (3rd or 4th generation)
set-top box, too, for an unrelated use.

Ken Hunold

From: Mark Schubin tvmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2006 10:31:56 -0500
To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

dalekelly@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>         The LG/Zenith "cold fusion" receiver design was the latest in
> a long line of Red Herring products announced or developed to
> obfuscate the 8VSB reception debate. It set the gold standard for VSB
> reception, which
is
> not duplicated by available 5G products, including those from
Zenith/LG.
> Granted, the new 5G products do provide improved performance but
> whether that is good enough depends upon where one lives. Mark Schubin

> would say
no
> and remember; he receives acceptable NTSC reception with rabbit ears.

You may have information that I don't, but I cannot say that the new
INTEGRATED LG sets are not as good as the box I tested.  No one has
brought any integrated set here.  It's a little tough to schlep them
into my bedroom.  I can report only that no non-integrated receiver has
yet performed as well as the 5th-generation LG prototype, still the only
box to have received stable DTT on all Manhattan channels (roughly 2
miles away) with a set-top antenna.

TTFN,
Mark

information intended for a specific individual and purpose.  If you
are not the intended recipient, delete this message.  If you are
not the intended recipient, disclosing, copying, distributing, or
taking any action based on this message is strictly prohibited.