[opendtv] Re: Legacy receivers

  • From: Mark Schubin <tvmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 12:23:00 -0500

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
Even happened with NTSC, to a minor extent. Examples are stereo sound
(Radio Shack actually marketed a stereo MTS tuner for a time, back when)
and with closed captioning.

Wrong examples. People with mono TVs never lost TV service. People without closed captions never lost TV service. People with monochrome TVs never lost TV service with the change to NTSC color, but they DID lose TV service with the introduction of CBS color, which is a big reason CBS color failed.

When the UK switched from 405-line, AM-sound, VHF System A to 625-line, FM-sound, UHF System I in 1964, the latter was incompatible with the former. I'm not sure, but I think the first prediction was that System A could be shut down in five years. Then it was another five years. Then it was another five years. The last System A transmitter in the UK was shut down in 1985.

TTFN,
Mark