[opendtv] Re: Legacy receivers

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 11:38:12 -0500

Mark Schubin wrote:

> The legacy-receiver problem with repeaters is minor compared
> to the legacy-receiver problem with dual-stream audio. There's
> a legacy-receiver problem with 720-active-pixel lines (THE
> international standard). There's a legacy-receiver problem
> with MPEG-2.
>
> There are still legacy receivers freezing due to legal
> video-format changes.

I see this sort of legacy receiver problem as a generic problem with
digital receivers everywhere, sooner or later. It has to be dealt with
no matter where you happen to live.

In the UK, the first tough nut is to move from 2K to 8K COFDM. That
obsoletes all the original ONdigital boxes, I believe. And after HD is
introduced, in Europe, if they should ever want to quit simulcasting SD
and HD, that will create another upheaval.

Over here, if broadcasters get into OCRs in a big way, same sort of
thing will happen with older or even marginal new receivers. Or AVC. Or
other MPEG modes.

That's why the STB market will probably exist at various times. I don't
think it's sensible to use each occasion as an excuse to lobby for
starting from scratch with an all new standard.