[opendtv] Re: Lawmakers Establish 2009 Deadline for Analog TV Phaseout

  • From: "Albert Manfredi" <bert22306@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 16:18:21 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

>>From a consumer's stand point, no contest. Of course you
>>want to pick up stations from as far away as possible.
>
>This has been true because of the historically poor use of
>the spectrum for broadcast TV.

Not at all. This has been true because US TV markets are
huge, and obviously one wants to receive stations with
the simplest possible antenna system, and because adjacent
markets often provide programs that the local market
stations don't provide. And that last can be due to any
number of reasons, including (but not limited to) the case
of local games being blacked out on local stations.

I would certainly agree that DBS and cable operators would
prefer for OTA reception to not work at all, and that local
affiliates would probably prefer that only their one station
be receivable. But the consumer has a different set of
interests, as absolutely any OTA user would tell you.