[opendtv] Re: Latest S/N tests: tuner architecture

  • From: "Donald Koeleman" <donald.koeleman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 15:57:09 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "S J Birkill" <sjb@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, January 29, 2005 12:13 PM
Subject: [opendtv] Re: Latest S/N tests: tuner architecture

Donald Koeleman wrote:

> Well, Steven J. has been developing tuners/demods, as long as I've been
> alive, and has quite a reputation for it, wich means most of the stuff in
> his message went over my head. Just like I quickly realised I wasn't going
> to mess with the 'Mitsubishi module';-).
>
> Steven, will your early satellite books ever become available as pdf's?

- Thanks Donald. I have no plans to issue the old satellite stuff in
electronic format. Maybe when I get a few hours to rub together! But it's
all pretty much out of date now, isn't it? Except the pure theory, I
suppose.

Well, many years ago I was able to track down one of your early US published
books ('81also announcing a book for early '82), in some library. So, it was
already historic information at that time, as you wrote about Symphony
reception, and your related love for xyz mounts over az-el mounts and so on.
Personaly, I like the books for their historic character, as the theory
could be learned from more recent books if one wants or needs to. So I would
love to see some pdf's of the other historic titles.

Around that time I also tracked down this conference book of a 1967
conference on large antenna's in wich I found this intruiging mount design,
that would have put your xyz mount to shame tracking Molnya, as it has
absolutely no 'gimbal locking positions', it was called the linear drive
pedestal. Also it contained a elegantly simple design for an adaptive 27
meter standard A earthstation antenna.

For instance, only quite recently, I was able to pick up this handbook from
the net: The Satellite Communication Applications Handbook, Second Edition,
by Bruce R. Elbert.

There used to be this large handbook on all aspects of satellite systems
design authored by three European guys, the principal author/editor being a
Frenchman name Matria... or something, it had a blue cover and ran for
several editions, I photocopied (explicit fair use) some pages, but have no
idea in wich of the many boxes to look for them;-), so perhaps some of you
remember the title.

Donald