[opendtv] Re: Latest S/N test

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 16:14:45 -0500

Dale Kelly WROTE:

> RF interference and other related distortion
> issues also greatly impact channel S/N performance
> and tend to be overlooked. The attached URL is for
> one of a series of articles written on the subject
> by the highly regarded engineer, Charles Rhodes. I
> believe you will find this and his other relates
> articles of interest.
>
> =
http://www.tvtechnology.com/features/digital_tv/f_DTV_interference.shtml

Thanks, Dale. Excellent article.

I thought that dual conversion tuners were designed
specifically to combat intermodulation (and
cross-modulation?). Which is why I was surprised to
see a couple of recent press releases, where the
manufacturers were touting their single-conversion
chips as being something great. Maybe great, but
mainly for cost reasons, no?

I guess you have to watch out for those more
obscure performance measures, such as this third
order intercept power. Maybe that's one reason
the LG 5th gen does so well, even with all those
analog stations still on the air.