[opendtv] Re: Latest S/N test

  • From: "Dale Kelly" <dalekelly@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 15:13:13 -0800

Bert Said:
> If this third order interference created within the
> receiver is a function of the cube of input power,
> seems to me that regular old single conversion tuners
> without some other provision to increase selectivity
> are not going to do well. Even wide band AGC might
> not help. A weak channel surrounded by loud ones
> can easily drop below the 15 dB margin in this sort
> of case, yes?

That seems correct to me Bert. You notice that Charley
Rhodes indicates that a tracking filter is required for
the required single conversion selectivity.

Zarlink recently announced design of a single ended tuner
for Thompson that they say exceeds the ATSC's A74
recommendation. That is nothing exceptional given that it
is a marginal spec. I was advised last year that Zarlink, RMT,
and others, supply triple conversion receivers, with significantly
better specs than A74, to the European COFDM markets,
where they are serious about OTA performance.
See these web page.
http://products.zarlink.com/product_portlets/thomson_pnp.htm
http://www.rwt.com.uk

Tthe Zarlink spec sheet doesn't give one a clue
about how their single conversion image rejection scheme
functions but I did note that the Noise Figure is a paltry 13db.
As I recall, the DVB-T spec. is  8db or less and a typical
DVB receiver is in the 5db range.