[opendtv] Re: Latest S/N test

  • From: "Allen Le Roy Limberg" <allimberg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 10:11:31 -0500

The problem with dual-conversion receivers for DTV is phase-modulation-noise
from the oscillators used in the early mixers.  The phase modulation is
greater the higher the frequency of the local oscillations.

Front-end overload problems are alleviated by using wideband AGC on the RF
amplifier and first mixer, rather than delayed AGC developed from the
narrowband AGC used on the IF amplifiers.  The use of wideband AGC on the RF
amplifier and first mixer was used in Hallicrafter receivers during WWII,
Charles Rhodes told me a few years ago.  I hear via the grapevine that he
has recently authored a paper on the matter.  Oded Bendov and C. B. Patel
recently wrote a paper "Television Receiver Optimization in the Presence of
Adjacent Channel Interference" for the IEEE  Transactions on Broadcasting,
but I am unsure whether it has been published yet or will soon.  My U.S.
patent application 2003-0007103 publishe 9 January 2003 and titled "DIGITAL
TELEVISION RECEIVER WITH REMOTE TUNER FOR DRIVING TRANSMISSION LINE WITH
INTERMEDIATE-FREQUENCY SIGNAL" describes wideband AGC to avoid overload of
the RF amplifier and first mixer in the remote tuner located at the antenna
site.

Al