[opendtv] Re: Kagan: TV Ad Revs Less In 2013, Than 2006

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 06:48:42 -0500

At 8:10 PM -0500 2/9/10, Albert Manfredi wrote:
 I am curious to see just how, or whether, OTA
 broadcasters really get their act together
 *as* OTA broadcasters. Tom doubts this. Going
 from the beginning of the digital transition
 to today, I think Tom can make a good case.

Not to offend unintentionally, I'm speaking in terms other than their engineering departments. I'm referring to the total lack of promotion, lack of collaboration among themselves to offer a cohesive FOTA service, spotty use of multicast capacity, even their apparent unwillingness to provide easy access to program listings. The general sense that were it not for stubborn users themselves, FOTA in the US would be unknown.

Once again, I am amazed that you cannot see the answer to you own question in the article I posted that started this thread. Read this again and see if you can answer your own question...

"Where traditional TV advertising represented 97% of a typical TV station's revenue take, it will be 84% in 2013. Retransmission fees will grow to 9% of an overall TV station's revenue in three years from a 1% share in 2006. Online revenues will rise to 7% in 2013 from 1% in 2006."

The old saw, "Biting the hand that feeds you" comes to mind.