[opendtv] Re: Japanese Television History - 2nd reply

  • From: flyback1 <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 23:17:19 -0500

Some of the items listed in 'About Bibliography' look very promising.

Here's what I'd like to find historical information about:

*what are the major technical events in the chronological history of television research in Japan from the 1930s forward?
*what TV standards were considered and when?
*was there independent development of camera technology in the 1930s that paralleled RCA and others?
*what TV standard was used during the early research?
*were 343 and 441 line systems considered?
*were 405 line or 819 line/50 Hz systems considered?
*was the early B&W vertical rate the same as the power frequency?
*was power 50 Hz for the whole country early on? [now its 50 east/60 west]
*was there technical influence from the BBC in establishing a standard?
*was all the early broadcast equipment built by NHK?
*was any early equipment supplied from manufacturers such as Marconi, Philips, RCA or Fernseh? *what did early TV sets [B&W and later the first color] look like and were they built in Japan?
*which color systems were considered and tested?
*how was the transition from B&W to color handled?
*was there a 50 Hz NTSC [like] color standard for the eastern part of Japan?

Thanks very much for any help.

Cliff

Mark Schubin wrote:

And here's NHK's bibliography: