[opendtv] Re: Japanese Television History

  • From: Mark Schubin <tvmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 07:55:21 -0500

I should clarify that Takyanagi went from NHK to Japan Victor (JVC).

Here are some more sources:
http://www.nhk.or.jp/strl/aboutstrl/evolution-of-tv-en/p05/
http://www.jvc-victor.co.jp/english/company/profile/innovative.html

Here's why the Yagi antenna has that name:
http://www.nhk.or.jp/strl/aboutstrl/evolution-of-tv-en/p05/column/index1.html

TTFN,
Mark

Mark Schubin wrote:
Here is some of the older stuff. Although there's an NHK site, Takayanagi worked for Japan Victor:

http://www.nhk.or.jp/strl/aboutstrl/evolution-of-tv-en/p05/

Go to the adjacent pages for more info.

TTFN,
Mark

Allen Le Roy Limberg wrote:

The idea that the Japanese television industry originated with NHK doesn’t square with what I little I know about the history of TV development in Japan. Before WW2 RCA had a Japanese subsidiary Japan Victor. A German-Jewish businessman Hans Strauss left Germany in the 30’s and took up residence in Japan. He was a personal friend of David Sarnoff’s. I am not sure whether or not he was associated with Japan Victor. After the war Japan Victor made overtures to rejoin itself with RCA, but the decision was to make it a separate company which became JVC. RCA decided it preferred licensing foreign companies rather than attempting to manage foreign subsidiaries. This decision was probably arrived at because of the huge investments RCA was making at the time in the television and computer businesses. Hans Strauss set up the basic network of patent agents RCA used abroad and initiated the licensing programs in Japan and in Europe. Radios were the matter of concern just after the war. Sony became an early licensee, and a Japanese national Toshiro Sawya worked for Sony and later for RCA. He had a good technical background for the day, was extremely affable and spoke excellent English. RCA Industry Service Lab had a laboratory in Tokyo that offered assistance in monochrome TV and later on in color. In the 60’s Ed Johnson was the head of the Tokyo lab, and he may still live in the Princeton, NJ area. Hans Strauss is probably dead, but the other two men would be in their 80’s and might still be living.

Al Limberg