[opendtv] Re: "It can't be done"

  • From: "Albert Manfredi" <bert22306@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 14:17:24 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

No Bert, I said that 50Kw at VHF frequencies is an Earth scorcher. At
UHF frequencies this is relatively low power.

Okay, at least on this much, we can agree. Even though you couldn't find it in your power to acknowledge this small detail when responding to Ian's post. It didn't suit you then, it suits you now.

I have in the past, however, suggested that even lower power levels
can be used. I used the Qualcom white paper as an example.

The Qualcomm paper talks about both high power and low power sticks, if you read it. And when I gave you that hypothetical mesh for a Baltimore station, I mixed high and low power sticks to give you the cookie cutter scheme you were interested in then. Now, you seem to have changed your tune to some degree, not going for cookie cutter patterns anymore, even though the Qualcomm paper talks about both techniques. (And in the cookie cutter case, it creates dead zones, as I explained would have to happen.)

I'm not asking you, or anyone to design a cookie cutter solution.

Must have something to do with the weather, then. The bottom line is, if you did your homework, that there is NOTHING in the Qualcomm paper that I have not already said. They are faced with having to make something work on just one 6 MHz channel in the 700 MHz band, and they make do. And pay the price for it, as they clearly show.

I'm not interested in playing fast and loose with the truth here, Craig. I'm not advancing some political agenda, where "truth" is more or less in the eyes of the beholder. Best to buckle down and try to understand what the real issues are.