[opendtv] Re: Is 'Fair Use' in Peril?

  • From: "Tom McMahon" <TLM@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 16:49:59 -0800

I was happy with 60 Minutes and local PBS off my roof antenna in LA (except for
the early ATSC days) until I needed a faster data
connection and DSL wasn't an option.  So I got cable.  The Iron Chef,
Discovery, ESPN and a few other things (now MythBusters, which
is very cool) came along with it.

I tune out during the ads, and I mentally model the things I do like to watch
which aren't OTA like a utility bill (a la DWP).  So,
while my primary justification for getting cable at all was data, the rest that
I *do* watch I pay for without thinking.  Do I wish
it was all free?  Sure.  But I don't think it's *pay* in the sense you're
talking about.