[opendtv] Re: Is 'Fair Use' in Peril?

  • From: "David Workman (WINDOWS MEDIA)" <dworkman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 14:55:58 -0800

>>I can think of a lot of low cost high volume items that are advertised
on television nationally
Agreed.  And I think McDonalds would agree, too.

>>TV is certainly free for me
As much as we try to deny that we are influenced by ads, there is a
direct correlation of TV advertisements to product sales. I would guess
that the correlation is even stronger with low cost products that people
buy without even thinking about it (why do you make your choice of
grocery stores, fast food, personal hygiene products, etc?)

Also, remember that the business model of the networks is to deliver
advertisements to viewers.  They are NOT in the business of producing TV
programs.

It is very expensive to produce quality programming.  If people skip
ads, the advertisers won't pay for ad time.  If the advertisers won't
pay, one of two things will happen: either the budgets (and resulting
quality) of programming will go down or viewers will have to get used to
some form of pay TV.

David Workman
Executive Producer
www.MuffinManTheMovie.com/ExecProducer.htm=20

From: <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxx>

> (very few products are actually advertised on TV,
> and most of them have very high price tags)=20

=20
=20