[opendtv] Re: Interlace Artifacts

  • From: "David Workman (WINDOWS MEDIA)" <dworkman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 11:38:34 -0800

>>There are admittedly bitstreams in the field that will=20
>>cause SMPTE VC-1 to go dark.  Wow.

I don't understand why in the world you would have an issue with this.
There would be no benefit for anyone to deploy the old 4:1:1 bitstream.
This bitstream is NOT part of VC-1 and was never intended to be.  There
are lots of other bitstreams in the world that are not decodable by VC-1
... and no one, to my knowledge, has any desire to have VC-1 decode any
of them, either.

>>The SMPTE-standardized VC-1 video codec and it's progeny will=20
>>always be a subset of whatever Microsoft does. =20

This is clearly untrue and not Microsoft's intention.

>>It is very very important for everyone, especially the press,
>>to differentiate between Windows Media vX and SMPTE VC-X.

Again, this is untrue.  The intention is for them to be identical.  You
would not believe the man-months my team has spent ensuring that the
spec, our implementation, and the reference implementation match, and
also helping third parties so their implementations match perfectly. =20

>>Microsoft executives predicted that VC-X would be done last=20
>>September (2004), but the best we're looking at now is later=20
>>this year (2005).

Yes, it has taken longer than expected - but unfortunately, this is the
nature of the process.=20

David Workman
QA Manager
Core Media Processing Technology