[opendtv] Re: Interlace Artifacts

  • From: Ron Economos <k6mpg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 06:09:10 -0800

Comments in-line.

Tom McMahon wrote:

>This discussion treads on the usual apples and oranges problem.  How do you
>comnpare these things when the parameters associated
>with the acquisition devices, the encoders, the storage media, the
>transmission media, the decoders and the display devices are all
>different?

Agree that it's very much apples and oranges. I guess the reason
I responded was that most FOX 480p video bitstreams I've analyzed
(when they were doing 480p) were coded at around 10 Mbps. Quite
a bit higher than your typical 480i bitstream.

>A key concept in this is whether or not the original image was captured
>coherently as single sample point.  In other words, whether
>or not it was "sampled" as a two dimensional array of image values or whether
>it was scanned out as a sequence of intensity values.

To use a Tom Barry phrase, I couldn't parse that sentence. Can you give
me another clue as to what you were getting at?

>Interlace has many dimensions.  (Most of them bad.)

I get the feeling that folks on this list consider the interlace tools
in MPEG-2
(field DCT, field predictions, alternate scan) to be not adequate. In
another
post you said:

It is interesting to note that H.264/AVC has much improved
interlace tools that help mitigate the gas-guzzling problem,
but improved codec performance for the transmission channel
does nothing for the display problem.

As an old MPEG-2 guy, I haven't quite wrapped my head around
H.264 yet. Can you describe how the H.264 interlace tools have
improved over MPEG-2? I've also been told that the interlace
tools in VC-1 are a complete afterthought.

Ron