[opendtv] Re: Integrated DTV PSIP

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 16:52:24 -0500

Doug,

Very early on, it was discussed that the local PBS station in each market
(being neutral in the ratings wars, I suppose) would retransmit the EPG PSIP
for each station in their market, in order to make it easier and faster for
STBs to grab a complete guide.  This idea never flew.

PBS stations currently carry TV Guide (Gemstar) data in their Analog
vertical interval.  I'm not revealing state secrets when I say that there is
something in the works to provide a similar service via DTV in the future to
dedicated boxes.

The Samsung box I have, (you have one too, I believe) is rather fast at a
full guide, but it only receives 2 stations.

John