[opendtv] Re: Integrated DTV PSIP

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 17:23:30 -0500

Mark Schubin wrote:

> > in
> > Europe they use translators all over the place, as any
> > decent OTA infrastructure would do.

> In the U.S., as of June 30, there were 4,491 TV translators:
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-260747A1.doc

Well, that's a good point, in the sense that there are almost
three translators for every full-power station, *overall*.

But I was responding to a specific comment by Bob Miller,
who used the low-power Euro broadcast model as an example of
how omni antennas can work.

If you look at the low-power OTA countries of Europe, two
examples of which would be France and Italy, you will find
that translator sites, where each site transmits most or all
of the national networks, are very close together. Like, as
the crow flies, between less than 20 to maybe 30 miles apart.

For example, the Empire State Building transmitters would not
be expected to cover Long Island, in a Euro scheme. Long
Island would have a few translator sites of its own.

These are TRANSLATOR sites, not the much smaller scale urban
SFNs, which typically consist of 2 or 3 towers. And they are
scattered throughout the country, to provide coverage.