[opendtv] Re: In Shift, Ads Try to Entice Over-55 Set

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 May 2011 18:35:16 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> The program has grown in popularity since Stewart took over hosting, with
> organizations such as the Pew Research Center claiming that it has become
> a primary source of news for many young people, an assertion the show's
> staff have repeatedly rejected.

But again, as these kids grow up, you are assuming they will continue to not be
interested in more meaty news or other programs. Even if the content is
provided over a more diverse set of media than just OTA and cable, which no
doubt is and will be the case, there's no reason to believe that today's The
Daily Show audience will never grow up and never demand more substantial
content.

> The Mod Squad was on ABC for five seasons. For seasons 2 through 4 it was
> rated in the top 25 programs for the season, with ratings share between 20
> and 22%. There were about 60 million TV households during those seasons,
> so The Mod Squad typically reached more than 12 million viewers.
>
> For the 2009-2010 season , NCIS delivered a 11 share while NCIS LA
> delivered a 9 share. Clearly the audience share has dropped dramatically,
> but the number of TV households has grown.

When there's more variety, you expect the percentage audience share to drop for
any single show. The only thing clear about any of this is that it makes sense
for at least some of the competitors to be chasing after as large a chunk of
the demographic as they can. Otherwise, all we would have on TV is the Smurfs.

Getting more than just The Smurfs on TV is not a sign of desperation, is my
point.