[opendtv] Re: ITV calling for temporary spectrum for transition to HDTV

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 11:49:33 -0400

ITV is a broadcaster, so I'll agree that in this case a broadcaster is
asking for spectrum for HDTV.

Not much detail given, but it looks like they are proposing to simulcast
HDTV only until HD-capable receivers are widespread. Then return that
extra multipex and quit simulcasting(?). Another transition, in short.
Not a permanently separate "HDTV tier."

Not enough detail provided to see exactly how this would work. For
example, would only HDTV be coded with H.264? If yes, then are they
hoping for an HDTV channel needing between 3 and 4 Mb/s only (the amount
now given to SDTV channels in Freeview)?

Actually, I think the Freeview channels are getting closer to 5 Mbps now.

My guess is that they would use the new multiplex to develop an HDTV service using higher power and more advanced modulation techniques to increase the total bit rate for the multiplex. Then, when enough people had purchased upgraded receivers they would convert the other four multiplexes and give back the loaner. With the higher bitrate in each multiplex they would then be able to offer a mix of SDTV and HDTV channels. seriously doubt that they would convert all of the existing SD channels to HD at that point. Perhaps in another decade (after this upgrade) they could take advantage of improved compression and modulation and upgrade all of the receivers again to provide more capacity for HD.